Interactive Lecture Support System ``AirTransNote''
Computers in Education Project is one of the Millennium Project launched by the Japan Government. The project tries to deploy two units of computers connected to the network and one projector into the all regular classrooms. The purpose of deployment is to show plenty of digital contents (short-time video, applications, and so on) by teacher during the class. It will help students to understand efficiently.
(Related Link: Description in Manabi-Net (in Japanese))
We consider that the ``interactivity'' becomes a key elements in
increasing students' insentive. To realize the interactivity, we need
to prepare some digital devices for each students. However deploying
regular PCs for every students is not applicable. Moreover, the
interface of the student's system should be natural and intuitive.
We propose a system that enables teacher(s) to browse the handwriting
note taken by students in real time. The system is named ``AirTransNote.''
Each stroke written by students is transmitted to the teacher's PC.
The teacher can browse/view the stroke as a note, and show them to the
students. We believe that this interactive mechanism may increase the
activity of the class.
The student subsystem consists of a PDA (Pocket PC) with wireless LAN
and a digital ink (digital pen). Handwritten note strokes is
digitized by digital ink. The digitized stroke data is transmitted to
the teacher's server via a wireless LAN and Pocket PC.
This research is funded by Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Priority Areas (2) Research on New Millennium Education specialized for Science and Mathematics (belongs to the A04 #2 group).
Picture of the system
[SnailClientCE] is the system for students.
We adopt PocketPC2002 PocketPC2003 and InkLink
for our system.
[SnailServer] is the system for teacher.
SnailServer receives strokes from SnailClientCE,
and enables teachers to view/browse them.
SnailServer is implemented as Java application.
We adopt a zooming interface for SnailServer (based on Piccolo toolkit).
Target: PocketPC2003 ARM
- Motoki Miura: ReactiveWebATN: Web-based Handwriting Note Sharing System for Distance Learning, Proceedings of 21th International Conference on Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information & Engineering Systems (KES2017), Marceille, France, pp. 1326-1333, September 2017. (info)
- Kazuya Kishi, Motoki Miura: Detecting Learners' Weak Points Utilizing a Digital Pen, 6th International Conference on Learning Technologies and Learning Environments, Hamamatsu, pp. 762-767, July 2017.
- Motoki Miura, Yusaku Kobayashi: Detecting Erase Strokes from Online Handwritten Notes using Support Vector Classification, Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information & Engineering Systems (KES2015), Singapore, 952–959, September 2015. (info)
- Motoki Miura, Takamichi Toda: Extraction of Writing Carefulness from Online Handwritten Data, 22nd FIM Int. Conference on Interdisciplinary Mathematics, Statistics and Computational Techniques, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka, pp. 113-118, November 2013. (pdf)
- Motoki Miura, Shun Akase, Takamichi Toda: Estimating the Care with which Notes are Written from Online Handwritten Character Data, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Intelligent Interactive Multimedia Systems and Services, Sesimbra, Portugal, pp. 195-203, June 2013. (pdf)
- Motoki Miura, Taro Sugihara, Susumu Kunifuji: (Translation) Improvement of Digital Pen Learning System for Daily Use in Classrooms, Educational Technology Research, Vol. 34, pp. 49-57, October 2011.
- Taro Sugihara, Motoki Miura, Susumu Kunifuji: Practicing on Stage: Increasing Transparency and Interaction in Class Activity with Digital Pen system, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems (KES2010), LNCS 6279, Cardiff, Wales, UK, pp. 457-464, September 2010. (info)
- Motoki Miura, Taro Sugihara, Susumu Kunifuji: Instant Seat Mapping for Student Note Sharing Lecture, The 10th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 2010), Sousee, Tunisia, pp. 382-383, July 2010. (info)
- Taro Sugihara, Takumi Miura, Motoki Miura, Susumu Kunifuji: Examining the Effects of the Simultaneous Display of Students' Responses using a Digital Pen System on Class Activity A Case Study of an Early Elementary School in Japan, The 10th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 2010), Sousee, Tunisia, pp. 294-296, July 2010. (info)
- Motoki Miura, Susumu Kunifuji, Yasuyuki Sakamoto: Practical Environment for Realizing Augmented Classroom with Wireless Digital Pens, Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems (KES2007), Italy, pp. 777-785 (Part III, LNAI 4694), September 2007. (SpringerLink)
- Motoki Miura, Susumu Kunifuji, Yasuyuki Sakamoto: AirTransNote: An Instant Note Sharing and Reproducing System to Support Students Learning, Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT2007), Niigata, Japan, pp. 175-179, July 2007. (IEEE Digital Library)
- Motoki Miura, Susumu Kunifuji: Hybrid Approach of Augmented Classroom Environment with Digital Pens and Personal Handhelds, Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems (KES2006), Bournemouth, UK, pp. 1019-1026, October 2006. (pdf)
- Yoshitugu Inoue, Motoki Miura, Susumu Kunifuji: Effect of Digitized Note Rearrangement on Remembrance, Proc of The First International Conference on Knowledge, Information and Creativity Support Systems(KICSS2006), Ayutthaya, Thailand, pp. 155-162, August 2006. (pdf)
- Ryunosuke Fujimoto, Shinobu Hasegawa, Motoki Miura, Susumu Kunifuji: Development of Community Based Learning System at a University, Proc of The First International Conference on Knowledge, Information and Creativity Support Systems(KICSS2006), Ayutthaya, Thailand, pp. 66-71, August 2006.
- Motoki Miura, Susumu Kunifuji, Buntarou Shizuki, Jiro Tanaka: AirTransNote: Augmenting Classrooms with Digital Pen Devices and RFID Tags, Proceedings of IEEE Int. Workshop on Wireless and Mobile Technologies in Education (WMTE2005), pp. 56-58, November 2005. (pdf)
- Motoki Miura, Susumu Kunifuji, Buntarou Shizuki, Jiro Tanaka: Augmented Classroom: A Paper-Centric Approach for Collaborative Learning System, Proceedings of 2nd International Symposium on Ubiquitous Computing Systems (UCS2004), LNCS3598, pp. 104-116, November 2004. (pdf)
Copyright © 2005-2018 Motoki Miura, All Rights Reserved.